This is the final piece with some closer photos as the black is difficult to see clearly. Hope it does the job!
This is the work in progress
I put these ideas into a final design sheet.
Next I tried some more fabric manipulations samples (page 6), embroidery and combined samples (page 7).
Ididn't like the blotting paper look, and I knew the white sheers were too opaque. So I tried markel rubbings on black organza and laid this over the blue cloth to see the effect. (page 5) Next I tried cutting shapes out of this allowing an overhanging edge which I could distress to resemble the torn paper. Although the blue cloth markings are still mostly lost I think this is the best option.
I thought that might be ok so I looked to see whether it would work alone or whether it needed to be stiffened with pelmet vilene. I examined it using 2 of my landscape designs as I hadn't decided which to use (page 2 and 3). In the third picture (page 3) I tried raising some parts into relief. Whilst I thought that was interesting I was sorry to lose the "torn" edges of the paper from the design but without the vilene it looked weak. So I decided to see how torn pelmet vilene, coloured with black ink would look (page 4)
The stages I went through are noted on the sheets but initially I considered what background I could use. I had some lovely dark blue scrumpled dyed linen/cotton from module 3 so I looked at doing rubbings on it using markel, from my paper texture sheet from earlier in the module. I also trialled a variety of sheers to see if the marks still showed, and trialled cream linen backgrounds for the dark blue.