Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Module 6 continued

Lastly I experimented with bonding colour onto fabrics using bondaweb. The samples are onto evenweave and the larger are onto muslin and scrim.
Next I tried painting different fabrics with silk paints and textile paints.

I tried space dyeing with procion dyes, colouring fabric and threads. Some of the fabric I dyed in bags using left over dyeing liquid in order not to waste it!
Design 6
Design 5
Design 3
Design 3
I repeated this process in design 2.

In chapter 2 I looked at designing with the shapes made in some of my photographs. I used a variety of papers decorated with inks, paint and crayons, pastels etc. I tore and cut the papers and remounted them, then cut again to create new patterns.
Sian asked me to increase the texture in the machined samples on the left so here are the results. I have left some squares lacy as they act as a contrast. It is hard to photograph well!

Monday, 11 May 2009

MODULE 6 - WATER AND SKY Chapter 1 and 3

The last (16) is a cable stitch sampler using a variety of types and thicknesses of thread and different stitches.
In the second (15) I have combined the suggested 3 and 4 and show zigzag and automatic stitches in the green patches with normal tension, and whip stitch versions in the orange/blue patches.

In Chapter 3 I made samplers of free machining. In the first (14) I have combined Sian's suggested 1 and 2 and show straight stitching with normal tension in the yellow patches and variable tension whip stitch (straight stitch) in the turquoise.

Lastly for chapter 1 in image 13 I used pva and tissue paper and momigami. There is also a close up.
In image 12 I tried sticking pieces of paper onto coloured paper, sometimes carefully and sometimes randomly.
Image 11 shows samples of texture paste 1:1 with impasto gel medium and acrylic paint.
Image 10 shows my efforts at more texture using pva and paint or ink with added flour, rice or couscous! I added highlights with markel or pastels.
Image 9 shows trials of polythene sandwiches using wax crayons and oil pastels which melt. angelina, threads, paper scraps and acrylic paint.
Image 8 shows trials with bubblewrap and colouring tools and colouring of foil and cellophane. Only acrylic paint stuck satisfactorily to the cellophane and I found it difficult to colour the bubble wrap.

Next I looked at ink plus waxy resists using wax crayons and oil pastels. These were successful with drawing inks but not acrylic inks. I then trialled the use of bleach and also tried painting on cellophane, these results are in the following pictures. (6,7)

The next three images (3,4,5) show various rubbings using crayons, pastels amd pencils with added marks.
The next (2) shows inks, acrylic ink and scraffitto with wax crayons and oil pastels in combinations.
I have collected lots of images of water and sky and reproduced them with mark making techniques. I will label these as I go for Sian's sake. The first (1) shows marks made with pencils and felt pens.