Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Texture Study

Being laid up with a bad back I have had the time to do some samples of texture based on the images of the brain. I have used for example a combination of string, cord, rubber bands, tissue, straws, pasta, texture paste, rubbings and white acrylic paint.

Sunday, 28 March 2010

More sketchbook

This last is actually based on bone microscopy but I like the way it echoes the circular theme of the cross-section of neurons. I coloured my drawing with pencils on tissue paper. The colours are ok but I couldn't apply enough pressure to get the colour intensity of the photo without tearing the tissue!
Here are a couple more pages in my sketchbook which I like. I have enough now to continue on with the next chapter of the module looking at texture.

Saturday, 27 March 2010


My new plan is to look at ideas around the subject of family. Perhaps seemingly odd I have started with the brain and nervous system as I want to tie this in with nervous diseases affecting families. This is in my comfort zone anyway as I have a medical background. The overall idea is very wide ranging so I shall see where it takes me over time. I am posting a few pages from my sketchbook. They aren't annotated as they are fairly self-explanatory and there are notes on the pages.

Monday, 22 March 2010

Change in direction...

After much consideration I have decided to change the theme for the diploma to something more personal. I will post some of the new work in the next few days.

Thursday, 11 March 2010

Chapter 7 Colour and Texture in stitch


Lastly I looked at the texture of a cut log with machine embroidery on painted poly cotton bonded to pelmet vilene. I used lots of colours to add interest, not sure if that worked in the photo (the close up photo came up a bit paler than the original).


I also looked at the first texture I tried of twigs criss crossing and making star shapes. In the hand embroidery these look more like flowers but it's quite pretty! The background is transfer painted kunin felt with embellished strips of polyester painted with the same design.


Next I used the image of the tree trunks machined onto a rubbing using transfer fabric crayons on poly cotton. This had been bonded to pelmet vilene. I liked the way the top looks like the horizontal branches of the trees. The fabric crayons give crisp lines which suits this design.


The next two samples use a different view of bark but with similar shapes but added horizontal lines. The first is a background of painted poly cotton bonded to pelmet vilene and machine stitched with a variety of colours.

In the next I wove transfer painted cotton polyester strips, bonded them to pelmet vilene and covered the piece with machined vermicelli. On top I machined shapes which relate to the texture work in the sample before. I like the softer colours and lack of shine with the poly cotton.
Secondly I embellished torn strips of transfer painted polyester onto felt and machined stitched shapes on which relate to bark texture. The stitching caused the background to undulate which I like and adds to the textural change. The polyester was great for embellishing. Where appropriate I have included a small piece of the coloured papers to show the colour link.
I combined the colours from the previous work and the texture study earlier in the module and using machine and hand embroidery produced the following samples. The first shows transfer painted polyester printed with a leaf motif using transfer paints. This is bonded to cotton batting and hand embroidered in running and back stitch, fly stitch and detached chain using silk and cotton embroidery floss. I prefer the photo to the "real thing" as it's so shiny! This is not strictly following texture or the colour scheme but I liked the effect of the stamping so I included it!

Monday, 1 March 2010

Chapter 6 Fabrics coloured with transfer paints


I used blue for my learning but I realise it is not present in my design source.
I moved on to colour areas of a variety of fabrics using painting, spongeing, printing and rubbings in all the mixed colours. I was able to recreate the red from my original photo which had proved elusive on paper! This technique lends itself well to producing textured, complex colour but it is very difficult to reproduce colours  exactly or to produce large areas of colour.
I did some more trial colour patches and tried the paints on some more unusual backgrounds. I really liked the textured effect on the crumpled tissue paper.