The hinges are cords trapped between the 2 layers of paper.
Wednesday, 1 October 2008
Next I embedded some more grids into this thicker paper pulp to see the results. I particularly liked the way the grids also make embossing marks in the new paper.
Having made the previous pulp very thin, I repeated the process adding 4 handfuls equivalent of soaked paper to the vat with dye made using 3 teaspoons of dye and same of soda. The result was very thick and looked like summer pudding but was much easier to work with. 3 handfuls would be optimal I think.
The first photos show embossing effects ( I also tried a fern leaf but couldn't apply enough downward pressure in my impatience!) I applied onto one sandwich of paper and then when the paper was partially dried I ripped out the thread and applied it to a grid of ovelapping papers. I ripped the threads out again when that paper was completely dry. The latter gave a ripped and curled effect whereas the former gave a harder more defined edge.
Wednesday, 24 September 2008
Lastly I dipped this coarse metal mesh through which I had woven stranded cotton. I probably needed more thread but it looks more interesting in real life than the photo!
I used plastic canvas mesh to make strips of paper to surround a piece of drawn threadwork.
I used a strip of the plant fibre as a base and then laid partial sheets of paper over the edges to create a framed mesh.
Next I lay a metal mesh on the cloth and a piece of soft metallic mesh cloth. I spooned on pulp and laid a sheet of paper over the mesh. The soft cloth worked very well but the metal mesh cut through the paper as it dried. So I added a layer of plant fibre ( I think it is) to the back and that strengthened it. I will show a picture of this backing.