Lastly I looked at the texture of a cut log with machine embroidery on painted poly cotton bonded to pelmet vilene. I used lots of colours to add interest, not sure if that worked in the photo (the close up photo came up a bit paler than the original).
1.7.10I also looked at the first texture I tried of twigs criss crossing and making star shapes. In the hand embroidery these look more like flowers but it's quite pretty! The background is transfer painted kunin felt with embellished strips of polyester painted with the same design.
1.7.8Next I used the image of the tree trunks machined onto a rubbing using transfer fabric crayons on poly cotton. This had been bonded to pelmet vilene. I liked the way the top looks like the horizontal branches of the trees. The fabric crayons give crisp lines which suits this design.
1.7.6The next two samples use a different view of bark but with similar shapes but added horizontal lines. The first is a background of painted poly cotton bonded to pelmet vilene and machine stitched with a variety of colours.
In the next I wove transfer painted cotton polyester strips, bonded them to pelmet vilene and covered the piece with machined vermicelli. On top I machined shapes which relate to the texture work in the sample before. I like the softer colours and lack of shine with the poly cotton.
Secondly I embellished torn strips of transfer painted polyester onto felt and machined stitched shapes on which relate to bark texture. The stitching caused the background to undulate which I like and adds to the textural change. The polyester was great for embellishing. Where appropriate I have included a small piece of the coloured papers to show the colour link.
1.7.1I combined the colours from the previous work and the texture study earlier in the module and using machine and hand embroidery produced the following samples. The first shows transfer painted polyester printed with a leaf motif using transfer paints. This is bonded to cotton batting and hand embroidered in running and back stitch, fly stitch and detached chain using silk and cotton embroidery floss. I prefer the photo to the "real thing" as it's so shiny! This is not strictly following texture or the colour scheme but I liked the effect of the stamping so I included it!